Friday, October 31, 2014

Too much light...

Back in the day during Jesus time people used olive oil to light their lamps (Exodus 27:20). If you are like me, you have probably never used olive oil to light a lamp. Once I did a little research, I discovered using olive oil in my lamp would drive me crazy!!! Olive Oil only produces enough light to reflect on the step you are standing on. Nothing in front of you and nothing behind you would be able to be seen. Not to be to American here, but um… I need a light house. I need to see into the far distance. I need to see all that is in front of me, beside me and behind me. I am a planner, so, if I am driving down the road and I can’t see the deer 20 feet in front of me how would I know to slow down or even stop. I mean really a flashlight would be way better then Olive Oil. Did you read that? ‘I need’, ‘I need’, and ‘I need’. Olive Oil is just like God and His enlightment/ provision. What I mean by this is God reveals a little bit as we go. He allows us to have the ‘free will’ to choose which direction we want to go, but he only sheds enough light on those options. Once we choose and step forward, then he will shed the next bit of light and on and on. I like most of you scream, ‘But God I need to see all my options and what will happen if I head down this path or this path.’ God knows that if he shed’s too much light we would not be able to handle it, just like we were not able to handle all the ‘knowledge’ we received from the ‘tree of knowledge of good and evil’ in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2-3). Honestly, the snake made that fruit look amazing! ‘“You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.’ Eve had all her options in front of her. She already knew what was down path # 1; she was already living on path #1. The snake revealed to her what would happen if she chose path #2 ‘your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil’. Unfortunately, she was shed to much light, deception, and she choose path #2. A path that all of creation has suffered from. Proverbs 3:6 tells us, Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.… Back to the deer in the road… I am traveling down the road and 20 feet in front of me is a deer in the road. I cannot see it, but I am trusting God to direct my path…. You and I know that if I can’t see it I won’t be able to slow down, honk my horn, or swerve. Therefore, I will surely hit it…Guess what 15 feet in front of me is another path. I am holding my lit olive oil lamp looking at my options. I can either continue down path #1 or move to path #2. So, what should I do? I pray Proverbs 3:6 and I ask God to direct my path. I tune out the worldly noises and I listen for His still steadfast voice so that I know I will hear his voice clearly. Once I hear Him, then and only then will I choose my path. (*note from Kevin) God has not called us to comfort, he has called us to trust and obey despite our comfort level. He cannot direct our paths if we are not moving. So take a step, and let Him direct as He so majestically does. This is what we are doing as a family, and I have to thank my beautiful wife for pushing me to regain the faith I had when I first trusted God with my life. I now am challenged daily as he directs my path leading this family. And I challenge every person to ask the questions I have had to ask myself daily. What can’t I trust God with? Why? How BIG is this Living God that I serve? Have I limited Him in my thinking? Why? READ, PRAY, LISTEN, WORSHIP

No comments:

Post a Comment